On Wednesday 10th July 2019, the Preston Teaching School Alliance School Direct team held an Orientation Day for the 2019-20 cohort. The aim of the day was to welcome trainees to the Preston TSA and provide lots of essential information prior to the start of the PGCE with QTS course. The day included
- A welcome to the Preston Teaching School Alliance by Chris Morris, Headteacher at Broughton High School.
- An informal ‘Who’s who?’ session, facilitated by Professional Mentor Lauren Bishop, enabling the trainees to get to know each other better.
- Details of the training routes taken by primary and secondary trainees.
- Previous trainees Gracie Short, from the 2018-19 cohort, and Matthew Tomlin, from the 2018-19 cohort, talked about their journeys from training with the Preston TSA School Direct programme to qualifying as teachers.
- Getting ready for September – a talk by Adrian Copping and Steve Chubb, Senior Lecturers from the University of Cumbria and Jackie Williams, Assistant Headteacher at Broughton High School and School Direct Partnership Programme Leader.
- Information from Andrea Loughran and Amanda Berry-Smith on the role of the mentor.
- Introductions to professional mentors and mentors.
The informal, informative sessions were organised to allay any fears the new trainees had and answer any questions. The sessions covered the structure of the week whilst training, who to talk to in school, the University modules covered, assignment dates and expectations.
If you are interested in training to become a teacher with Preston Teaching School Alliance please contact telephone Sandra Duggan, on 01772 867210 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about our teacher training programme here.
Find out more about School Direct courses at the University of Cumbria.